Tuesday, March 8, 2011

And I Was Running!

I hope you all heard the Forrest Gump voice when you read the title cause that is what it sounded like in my head when I started running last night!  The family met me at a local trail for our monday night walk.  I had mentioned to Mr. Fat Girl that I had a goal to be a runner in a year and after doing some research I learned that the best way to start is by walking and running alternatively.  You can go from one post to another or pick other landmarks or times to tell you when to switch from one to another.  It also said that you needed to run only as fast as you could go at the time even if it is a slow run.  I was set.  Shoes tied and great looking man and three knobby kneed kids at my side.  I was going to run. 

We walked for a bit and then I announced that we would run from the post to the bench (I know this means nothing in terms to ya'll but it is about a residential block) and we took off.  Of course the 3, 5 and 9 year old shot off like rockets and even came back to run it with me but I kept on going and I made it.  You know what?   I really liked it and it did not hurt at all.  We walked until the next post and, well, you know the rest, we kept the pattern until the reached the end and went home.  The kids had a lot of fun and I could tell that I was holding my husband back but like the great man he is he stayed by my side.  He would ask about my knees and ankles after each run and kept telling me how proud he was of my progress.  I RAN!  Not fast and not long but I know I will be able to keep building on it until one day I am able to run instead of walk the trail. 

It is amazing how much easier it is to do everyday things now that I have lost 50lbs.  I was even wearing some 4 inch pumps the other day and realized when I got home that my feet did not hurt.  I can't wait to see how each 10 pounds lose feels on my body.  BTW, I took some body shots to share on friday.

~Fat Girl

12 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so awesome! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for running! I've always wanted to be a runner too but I've never been very good at it. One of the first blog entries I ever wrote was about running and how whenever I start running I have always use this running program to help me get going. The program does exactly what you are donig with interchanging walking and running. I copied and pasted it from my blog entry in case you were interested in doing it

    Suggested workout days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday; Rest days: Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday
    Week 1: Run 2 Minutes, Walk 4 Minutes - Repeat 5 times
    Week 2: Run 3 Minutes, Walk 3 Minutes - Repeat 5 times
    Week 3: Run 5 Minutes, Walk 2.5 Minutes - Repeat 4 times
    Week 4: Run 7 Minutes, Walk 3 Minutes - Repeat 3 times
    Week 5: Run 8 Minutes, Walk 2 Minutes - Repeat 3 times
    Week 6: Run 9 Minutes, Walk 2 Minutes - Repeat twice, then run 8 minutes
    Week 7: Run 9 Minutes, Walk 1 Minute - Repeat 3 times
    Week 8: Run 13 Minutes, Walk 2 Minutes - Repeat 2 times
    Week 9: Run 14 Minutes, Walk 1 Minute - Repeat 2 times
    Week 10: Run 30 Minutes

    If you feel tired after Week 9, repeat this week of training before moving onto Week 10. Also, if you have been sedentary before starting this program, walking 20 minutes for four days and then 30 minutes for the next four days is suggested to help get your legs ready.

    Good luck with running! I Think I'm going to try getting into it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! Sounds like you have a great husband too. A couple of years ago I did a bit of interval running/walking and it was so awesome. I will have to consider doing that too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on the running! It's such an exhilarating feeling knowing that you actually RAN, I am on a high each day I do the c25k... Can't wait for your Friday surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job!!! once the weather gets a little bit better I too wanna start running :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've started walking/running on the treadmill at my gym. Eventually I'll run outside but not until weather gets nicer. I can't stand the cold. Good luck with your program.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! :) Post to bench is the first step!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gurrrrl! You are going to blow all of us away! Great job!

    ReplyDelete