I have lost almost 70 lbs and apparently this is becoming a bit obvious to those that see me everyday. It took a while for any one at work to comment either that or they were afraid to offend me by saying anything but once I hit about 50 lbs all such notions were chucked to the wind and people let loose their tongues. Some of the things people have said have been motivational and touching and some of them have been......well, if I was not such a laid back woman I would have thought about slapping the crap out of them. It amazes me how if you are fat or pregnant the world feels the need to comment. It is almost as if your body is an open range and are just expected to listen to every little thing that is said to you. At least no one as reached out and rubbed my belly like they did when I had my son. Anyways, here are some of the comments I wish I could remember all of them and I am going to start righting down the really good and the truly bad ones to share with you guys. What are somethings that have been said to you?
1. You look great/ Your glowing/ I can tell you are working out- I get a lot of these general comments that are people that are letting me know they can tell that I have lost weight and that it shows. I love these comments because you can always see the shock on their face or that they are really excited for you. These motivate me because I love to get that external praise and recognition that I am indeed getting smaller. They also are positive and don't make me wonder if I was ugly 70 lbs ago.
2. You are such a motivation!- This is another good one because it lets me know that I am not only changing my life but helping motivate others into changing theirs too. If it is a fellow overweight person that I know would respect my choice I share my experience about my band and how it has saved my life.
3. How are you losing so much weight- This could be a good or bad comment depending on the person that said it. Sometimes I use it as a teaching opportunity about the band but if I don't think they are receptive or would respect my choice I use it as a teaching tool about eating right and exercising. Some people look at me like I am throwing up in the bathroom (just a few times and not on purpose) or taking pills to crap off the weight.
The Bad: Usually said by older women or people that you can tell are not happy for your weight loss.
1. Your husband must be so excited!!!!!!- Yeah, what am I supposed to say to this? "He sure is because I was such an ugly cow before and that is all our love is built on." What the crap! This makes no sense to me. Why would you even say that to someone? You don't know my husband or the fact that he has never failed to show how much he loves me and thinks that I am beautiful and sexy. This one really did amaze me.
2. I bet guys are going to start hitting on you or your are blossoming into a beautiful woman- Wow, I am worried about this one. I have worked so hard most of my life to build a fortress of fat around me so that I am so ugly that I would never have to worry about catching a man's eye. (please read with the sarcasm that is dripping from these words) Honestly, is there anything nice about telling a woman that she is too fat and ugly to be attractive to the opposite sex. I am still a bit speechless.
3. I can barely see you anymore/ Your melting away or The wind is just going to blow you away- I get several of these and I know they are meant with great intentions but dang! I am still 130 lbs overweight at no point and I in fear of my life because of the wind nor do I think that my body is just going to melt away or that I am so thin that no one can see me. It isn't a hurtful comment but it is condescending and just plain makes me want to sit on you.